Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Pottery Barn Felt Pillows

About a week ago I guest posted at Someday Crafts. Here's the post for any of you who might have missed it over there.

Don't we all look through the Pottery Barn catalogs and drool? I know I do. When I saw these pillows in PB Teen I knew I could make them for cheap!

PB version: $39

Cupkateer Version: $5

Ready to make your own? Let's get started!

Click on any of the images to make them bigger.

Scalloped Pillow

Begin by cutting the following sizes from your felt:
-17"x17"
-16"x16"
-17"x11"
-17"x11"

Step 1: Using your 16"x16" piece begin cutting your scalloped design.


Tip: I use a white crayon when marking dark colored fabric. Afterwards I use a pressing cloth and iron it. The crayon marks will stay on the pressing cloth, not your fabric.



Next you will be cutting out the center. I cut a piece of scrapbook paper to use as the pattern. Cut a opening 12" x 12"




Repeat the previous steps to make 2 more scalloped layers. With the following dimensions:
-11"x 11" square scalloped, 8" x 8" center
-7" x 7" square scalloped, 4" x 4" center

Then...



Next take your 17" x 11" pieces. Stitch a 1/2" hem along the 17" side.

Now we are going to sew the front and back pieces together.

First you will need to pin your scallops out of the way.



Now, with right sides together sew the 2- 17" x 11" pieces to the main 17" x 17" piece. Use a 1/2" seam allowance.


Clip your corners, turn, and insert a 16" square pillow form.


Flower Pillow

Begin by cutting the following sizes from felt:

17" x 17"
17" x 11"
17" x 11"
Scraps for flowers

Cut out your flower shapes. Click below to download my patterns.

Felt Pillow height="500" width="100%" > value="http://d1.scribdassets.com/ScribdViewer.swf?document_id=23161424&access_key=key-4ng2qzwuwyqln1mq0hx&page=1&version=1&viewMode=list">

Stack the flowers using the following diagram. Tack down the center of the flowers.

Tip: I set my machine to a small zig zag, then dropped the feed dogs when I tacked the flowers down.


Next pin the flowers aside and add a leaf design in a contrasting thread. You can use a free motion foot, stitch them by hand, or eliminate this step.



After you've finished the leaves, tack down the petals


To finish, attatch the 17" x 11" pieces the same way as you did for the scalloped pillow.

Add a 16" square pillow form and you're done!


Not to shabby of a knock off if I do say so myself.

31 comments:

Stephanie said...

Those turned out AWESOME!! They look very time consuming though, was it that bad? I probably wouldn't have attempted those on my own, thanks for showing me a DIY is possible!

Leslie said...

Excellent! I drooled over some Christmas felt pillows in the PB catalog and made them myself too. Much cheaper and satisfying!

Suzy D. said...

OMG!these look awesome!
thank you for the tute. I love it when someone else figures stuff out so I can just do it!

jen said...

I am so making these! thanks for the tutorial now to dig out my sewing machine LOL
luvs and glitter
~jen

Jess said...

I'm soooo happy I found this tutorial! This is exactly what I've been wanting to make but didn't know how - thanks!

La Xarochita said...

Excelente idea!
Muchas gracias x compartir =)
Intentaremos hacerlo, bye =)

whydelilah said...

thank you for this tutorial. I love pillows, so... i´ll try to make one of these

ameliaharris99 said...

Holy CUTENESS!! I love these! With a house full of girls (3 little ones) these are going to be a definite must!! :) Thanks for sharing!

Aunt Suzi Quilts said...

This is a wonderful pillow! Thanks for the tut! I'm going to make some for my Sweet Senior. I'm your newest follower!

Unknown said...

These are awesome! I've been wanting to copy these for so long! It's good to know its possible and great to have your step by step instructions!

Two Shades of Pink said...

These pillows are absolutely gorgeous! I love them...I'm truly inspired.

{Trulie Scrumptious} said...

OH my SO AMAZING! We'll have to have you over for our blog for our tutorial tuesday! If you are interested in being featured for this fabulous tutorial e-mail us at truliescrumptious@gmail.com
LOVE love love your blog to pieces!

Dinny - Poemas em Cor said...

belas almofadas. lindas mesmo. adorei!

Maria cristina said...

bellisimi
ciao
Cristina

Unknown said...

Are you presently seeking to ways to accrue worldwide recognition promptly? You simply require to Buy Facebook Followers to become recognized online. facebook followers

Unknown said...

You merely need a fans page, and then request for likes and comments to come. At the time you buy facebook video views from a special territory, the page will be viewed by other folks also. buy video views for facebook

Unknown said...

You need to always look for expert and also knowledgeable service suppliers that are the appropriate folks to be relied on for promoting your company or products. buy real usa facebook likes

xccc said...

To find a higher exposure for your products or personality, being active on social networking like Twitter is a must at present. buy twitter follower

Unknown said...

If you want to start advertising on Social Media platforms like Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Instagram then we can help you.
boost media india

Unknown said...

good
https://homecleaningads.com/

Olivia Lua said...


outsourcingall.com "Usually I never comment on blogs but your article is so convincing that I never stop myself to say something about it.
This paragraph gives clear idea for the new viewers of blogging, Thanks you. You’re doing a great job Man, Keep it up.
Seo training
outsourcing training in dhaka
Best Website Development and Design Company in Bangladesh
free outsourcing
graphic design training
digital marketing training
affiliate marketing training
outsourcing training
outsourcing training in bangladesh

seo training institute said...

Worked as a Senior SEO & Digital & Social Media & Graphics Design & cpa & Drop shipping & Video Editing And Youtube & Web Design And Development & Affiliate Marketing trainer at BITM (BASIS Institute of Technology & Management) since 2014-2018. Successfully completed 50+ SEO batches, 20+
Affiliate Marketing batches and 30+ workshop on Freelancing under SEIP (Skills for Employment Investment Program).
Email Marketing Service
Free bangla sex video:careful
good post outsourcing institute in bangladesh

Brukkevin said...

This blog was very nicely formatted; it maintained a flow from the first word to the last. Robbie Reyes Jacket

andrewjackson said...

Our the purpose is to share the reviews about the latest Jackets,Coats and Vests also share the related Movies,Gaming, Casual,Faux Leather and Leather materials available Akatsuki Bomber Jacket

Creative Buildingbd said...

Creative Buildingbd is the best Self-leveling epoxy Flooring service provider in Bangladesh. Self-leveling epoxy floor users will get best self-leveling epoxy floor at an affordable price from us.

eddielydon said...

It was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author. Bane Coat

olivia said...

oliviarodrigomerchshopIt was not first article by this author as I always found him as a talented author

unknown said...

Outstanding: I am so eager to peruse this Outstanding post.shop here

unknown said...

This blog always gives valuable content for it's visitors.playboy hoodie

fubuofficial said...

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into your blog. Your posts are always well-researched and thoughtfully written.fubuofficial.com

Ben Watkins said...

The content resonates positively with the reader. Dark Knight Rises Bane Jacket